Improving the Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) in your home is crucial both for your health and comfort. Often overshadowed by outodoor air concerns, the quality of the air inside our homes and workplaces significantly impacts our daily lives, well-being and productivity. So let’s take a look at what IAW is, why it is important and some practical steps you can take to improve the air quality in your living and working spaces.
What Is Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)?
Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) encompasses various factors that characterise health and comfort levels of indoor air. It considers things like temperature, humidity, air flow and ventilation as well as the presence of pollutants – everything from dust and pet dander to chemical emissions from household cleaners. Even the heat pump or air conditioning system you use can influence your home’s IAQ, affecting not just your comfort but also your health.
Why Is Having Good IAQ So Important?
The impact of your IAQ on your health can be subtle yet huge. In the short term, poor indoor air quality can cause headaches, dizziness, fatigue and eye, nose and throat irritations. Over time it can exacerbate or even trigger conditions like asthma, allergies and other respiratory concerns. However, you can take steps to improve your IAQ and set your whanau up for a number of health benefits?
- Reduced allergies and asthma triggers: If you are asthmatic or live with someone who is, you can reduce your symptoms by reducing airborne allergies.
- Decreased risk of respiratory disease: If your air is clean and pollutant free you it can have a positive impact on your respiratory health. Having a good IAQ is essential for preventing long-term health issues, especially those related to lung health.
- Enhanced sleep quality: When you have great indoor air quality you don’t just have a healthier living environment. An optimal IAQ can contribute to better sleep patterns which can have huge health benefits.
How To Optimise Your Home’s IAQ
It’s difficult to control the air outside your home, but when it comes to the air inside your home, there are a number of things you can do to improve your Indoor Air Quality.
Regular maintenance of your heat pumps
- When you make sure that your air conditioning and heat pump systems are regularly maintained, you help to keep your air in tip-top condition. Regular servicing and maintence will not only keep your air as clean as possible, but it will also ensure your heat pump is running efficiently which helps keep your power usage down too.
- Regular servicing includes professional servicing from one of our team of professionals as well as things you can do yourself like keeping the outdoor unit clear from debris and cleaning the indoor unit’s filters regularly too.
- When you keep the humidity in your air in check you’ll find not only is your home more comfortable to be in , but you minimise the potential for mold.
- Our Auckland climate can make this a particular challenge in our homes, but utilising your heat pump to keep your air clean and dry will help you to manage this.
- Good ventilation is essential for good IAQ, especially in high-moisture parts of your home like bathrooms and kitchens. A good ventilation system will keep your air fresh as well as free from excess moisture and pollutants. Ask us about the Lossnay Ventilation system for more info on this.
Minimise In-Home Pollutants
- Where you can, make considered decisions about the products you use in your home. Choose natural and non-toxic clraning products and limit the use of aerosols and scented candles which can release unwanted chemicals into your home.
Upgrading Your System
- When it comes to making the right decision for your health and indoor air quality, Mitsubishi Electric really does lead the way. They bring innovative technology to their range of heating, cooling and ventilation products to help improve your air quality as well as manging the temperature. With features like:
- Advanced Plasma Quad Plus Filtration
- Whisper Quiet Operation
- Energy Efficient Eco-Core Technology
- plus optional extras like the Plasma Quad Connect, there is a solution for every home.
Paying attention to the air quality inside your home is an investment in your health. Whether you are considering a new system, or looking to improve the performance of you existing set up, prioritising your IAQ is a step to creating a healthier home and more comfortable living space.
If you are ready to breathe easier, get in touch with our team of experts at Heat and Cool. We are here to help guide you ensuring you get the best solution for your needs. Get in touch today on 09 827 4784